Saturday, December 31, 2011

From and In the Heart


Yesterday started out as a bit of a downer in the studio. I was asked to engrave three urns for a client who lost their beloved dog, Moose, last week.  One large urn will stay with the parents and the two smaller urns will go to the children who grew up with their precious Ubu, a nickname they gave him when he was just a puppy.  It reminded me of how precious our pets are to us and the heartbreak when they pass.

   Spencer and Courtney, our two chihuahuas, getting to know each other for the first time.



Later I returned to the studio to do a job I've been agonizing over. Carol wanted to give wine glasses to her son & future daughter-in-law for their wedding in January. She suggested putting the bride and grooms names on separate glasses, embraced by a heart shape that would be made of the names of family members, some of who had passed and others who were still living. The final touch would be to add the date to the base of the glass. I couldn't envision how I could make it work, or how I could engrave that much text on a very thin Riedel wine glass. But I'm SO happy with the way they turned out. So much so, that I'm going to start offering similar items in my etsy store next month.                                                                                                               

The last job of the day was designing three layouts for a monogram that will be placed at the top of an invite that I did earlier this month.     Can't wait to see which one the bride chooses.  



Wishing you all a wonderful New Year!!  Happy 2012!

2 comments:

Alesia Zorn Calligraphy said...

I felt your pain as I read about the wine glasses, it's a tough design, a tricky technique and most of all, somone has entrusted you with honoring their cherished family members. You pulled it all off so beautifully!!
And please report back on which monogram the bride chose!

Jenny Muffler said...

Thanks Alesia!! Looking forward to talking with you SOON about your future in engraving : ))) 2012 is going to be a great year!!!